Africa Waste and Environmental Management Centre (AWEMAC) was founded in January 2004. The Firm is composed of professionals with long-term research and consultancy experience in waste and environmental management aspects. Initially, the Firm was based in Kisumu City, (Western Kenya) but later, around September 2004, the offices were moved to Kenya's Capital City, Muthaiga Minimarket,Nairobi where it is located to date.
SCOPE OF CONSULTANCY SERVICES
Resettlement Action Planning
This involves field work assessments on people to be affected by various development project like roads, power transmission lines, dams, industries, irrigation and agricultural projects, large-scale housing, re-afforestation.
Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
AWEMAC assesses the potential impacts and develops appropriate mitigation measures for various development projects. The Firm conducts Environmental Impact Assessment(E.I.A) for roads and railways, airports, ports and harbors, water supply, sewerage, thermal power, electrical transmission lines, industries in general, mining development, oil and gas pipelines, cement plants, fertilizer plants, diversion channels, forestry, irrigation and waste disposal facilities.
Environmental Auditing (EA)
AWEMAC carries out systematic documented, periodic and objective assesment of the activities and services of organizations, industries and infrustructural facilities in relation to :
* Assessing compliance with relevant statutory and internal requirements
* Facilitating management control of environmental practices
* Maintaining credibility with the public.
* Raising staff awareness and enforcing commitment to departmental environmental policy and best practices.
* Exploring improvement opportunities
* Establishing the performance baseline for developing an Environmental Management System (EMS)
The Firm conducts Environmental Audits for roads and railways, airports, ports and harbors, shopping complexes, supermarkets, water infrastructure, sewerage, thermal power, electrical transmission lines, industries in general, mining development, oil and gas pipelines, cement plants, fertilizer plants, diversion channels, forestry, irrigation and waste disposal facilities, parks and hotels
AWEMAC organizes and facilitates trainings in the following areas of interest :-
* Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Auditing which targets graduates who are interested in carrying out the same.
* Solid waste management which mainly suits the municipal and city council clerks and workers and those with waste handling companies.
* Waste water management which targets the workers of municipal and city councils, and workers of companies and industries which produce and handle wastewaters.
* Water resource planning and management which suits borehole drillers, water management Authorities and anyone who is interested in planning for their water resources in day to day operations.
* Environmental and Occupational Safety and Health (OHS) that targets staff of various organization and those aspiring to have such an occupation."