Rao Community Development Initiative (RACODI) - Uganda is a registered Community Based, not-for-profit, organization in Amach Sub County of Lira district, Northern Uganda founded by young people. The organisation is registered with Amach Sub County Local Government, Lira NGO Forum and Lira District Local Government. It arose out of the desire to meet the needs of the community that have few or no organisations intervening in addressing issues that face the community today.
Vision: "A Peaceful, Healthy, Educated, Self sustained and Developed Community" Mission: "Striving for Peace, socio-economic development of the Children, Youth, and Women through: information dissemination, vocational skills development, education, community outreaches, moral and psychosocial support, referrals and linking for appropriate services/support"
Aims and objectives a) To improve the socio-economic welfare of children, women, and youth in Northern Uganda who have been deprived of such development to cope up with the rest of the country and entire Globe which have gone far in socio-economic development through: agricultural rehabilitation, income generating activities and advocacy. b) To encourage the youth in Northern Uganda who have lost hope for formal Education to realize their talent by encouraging them to engage in activities that enable them acquire life skills through vocational skills development training, performing arts in order to promote self sustenance. c) To give hope to children, women and youth in Northern Uganda infected and affected by HIV/AIDS and helping those who have been affected to protect them selves from HIV/ AIDS. d) To reduce the effects of violence and conflict on children, women and the youth especially in Northern Uganda that has for over twenty(20) years suffered the effects of the LRA insurgency and advocate for upholding children's and women's rights. e) To protect the environment through; advocacy and supporting environmental projects so as to curb global warming.
• Annual General Meeting- the supreme organ.
• Board of Directors (7 Members; 4 are women, makes policies and provides overall direction).
• Secretariat: implements programme o Dedicated 3 staff (permanent, non permanent and volunteers) o Sound financial management policies and systems o Sound human resources management polices
1. Education This is a cross-cutting activity in all the programmes of RACODI. It is an integrated activity. RACODI wishes to support orphans and vulnerable children in provision of scholastic materials, school fees and basic materials. There is a relatively bigger number of needy children but are challenged in terms of funding considering the level of poverty resulting from the 20-year war.
2. Livelihoods Support Provision of sustainable and profitable means of livelihoods, training of Income Generating Activities and financial management, support to Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVCs'), youth and women to attain vocational skills and provision of basic start up tool kits to beneficiaries War affected children in the community.
3. Peace Building Training of Parents Groups and Youth Groups on peace building and conflict resolution, facilitation of community reconciliation and peace meetings, community and religious dialogues and consensus building on traditional justice systems, interactive games and sports among children and youth, development and implementation of peace, action plans, and dissemination of Information Education and Communication (IEC) materials to provide acceptance and reintegration.
4. Health This involves HIV/AIDS awareness creation, Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health, and aspects of mental health (drug and substance abuse).
5. Child protection Formation and training of child protection committees, community dialogue meetings, and support to community led initiatives on child protection, translation of key legal and policy documents into local languages, data collection on violation of children's rights and supporting formal education for Orphans and Vulnerable Children in Northern Uganda
6. Environmental Protection and conservation Training of Youth Groups, formation of Environment Clubs in schools, established a tree nursery which acts as a demonstration site and supplies tree seedlings to the community. RACODI will open a tree demonstration garden in 2012 which will be used as a learning centre for tree growers, students and environmentalists."