KCU is committed to working with as many as possible farmers local as well as international, to see to it that incomes of its farmers from coffee rise to even higher levels. Voluntary association of 124 Primary Cooperative Societies representing over 60,000 small farmers of the mainly Robusta Coffee grown in Kagera region. Kagera Cooperative Union Ltd (KCU) was established in early 1950 mainly to collect and market small producer coffee in Kagera region, North West of Tanzania. . KCU is a voluntary association of 124 Primary Cooperative Societies representing over 60,000 small farmers of the mainly Robusta Coffee grown in Kagera region.
It has been involved in the promotion of Tanzanian coffee abroad, always focused on increased sales and higher remuneration for the farmer. Through active involvement with and direct selling into the Fair Trade market, KCU was able to pay its farmers up to 100 % more than generated through the commercial price.
As an organization of small coffee producers KCU has managed to link farmers to the coffee market, through Fair Trade, farmers are paid higher prices for their coffee compared to the producer who do not work with Fair trade, KCU has served as a firm base for small producers working with the Fair trade movement.
The Mission and Vision of Kagera is to improve the well being farmer's, by assisting them to produce high quality products that continue to capture the satisfaction of customers hence fetching premium returns.
They export coffee from Usambara Cooperative Union, which happens to be registered with FLO Certification. KCU owns an export certificate from FLO for small producer organizations that cannot export themselves.
Robusta, the first coffee introduced in Tanzania was brought to the Bukoba district of Kagera by homecoming warlords from the Congo and Gabon, early in the 17th century. It continued to be used as a traditional item for ritual performance, stimulant and a vital source of strength for many years later, until when it was commercialised in the beginning of the 20th century.
Kagera Robusta and natural Arabica coffees grown there, account for 25% of some 800,000 bags (50kg each) of Tanzania's annual coffee output. The remainder, 75% is the component of washed Arabica.
The Cooperative has since, made great achievements in its mission to improve the well being of its farmers by assisting them to produce high quality products that continue to capture the satisfaction of its customers and hence fetching premium returns.
KCU is also involved with Export Promotion of Organic Products in Africa (EPOPA), whose objective is to promote innovative and environmentally sound farming techniques aimed at improving the well being of the community.
The status of Tanzania Robusta and Arabica coffee has improved tremendously in the world market as quality and supply have come to be more reliable.
KCU is committed to working with as many as possible farmers local as well as international, to see to it that incomes of its farmers from coffee rise to even higher levels.
Cooperative or Membership Association, Fairtrade or Similar
Primary Country Where Active:
Location (Town, City, District or Region)
Postal Address (Main Contact)
John Kanjagaile, Kahawa House, P. O. Box, 8447 Moshi, Tanzania