The Garden covers an area of 33 Hectares. It is managed by a Trust known as the SSR Botanic Garden Trust enacted in May 1999. The five main objectives of the SSR Botanic Garden Trust are conservation, educational, recreational, cultural and historical.
The Garden is one of the oldest Botanic Garden is the southern hemisphere.
The Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanic Garden dates back to the French period. In 1736, the French governor, Mah‚ de Labourdonnais, chose to set up his domain around the present Main Gate at Pamplemousses. In 1767 of the French intendent, Pierre Poivre also introduced vegetables, fruits and flowers from all over the world. Amongst these plants were some of the most prized species of the time: namely nutmegs (Myristica fragans) and cloves (Syzichium aromaticum) from the Malaccas. These species are still present in the Spice Corner at the Garden.
The Botanic Garden which was formerly known as the Royal Botanic Gardens, Pamplemousses was renamed on the 18 September 1988 that is on the 88th Birth Anniversary of Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam, the first Prime Minister of Mauritius and later Governor General of Mauritius.